Oookay, I wont lie I was a tad bit nervous about this recipe because in my experience anything that I’ve made with whole wheat flour usually tastes like poo-poo. Just being honest. This turned out excellent though! And on the plus side, I had all the stuff for it in my pantry already. I feel like sometimes healthy renditions of recipes call for stuff that I have to make a special trip to the grocery store to acquire. Anyway, here it is:
- 1/3 cup olive oil.*
- 1/2 cup honey.*
- 2 eggs.
- 3 mashed bananas.
- 1/4 cup milk of choice (I used whole milk).
- 1 teaspoon baking soda.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more to sprinkle on top.
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg.
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour.
- Optional mix ins (raisins, chocolate chips, walnuts etc).
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees, and grease a 9×5 loaf pan.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Pour batter into prepare loaf pan and sprinkle cinnamon on top.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the loaf pan for about 10 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack and cool for an additional 20 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!
*In place of olive oil you can also use 1/3 cup melted coconut oil, or vegetable oil but vegetable oil is highly processed. In place of honey you can use maple syrup.