If you’ve just started on a fitness regiment it’s highly likely you’re making at least one of these mistakes and you didn’t even know it. I know I’ve made not one, but almost all of these at some point.
- Thinking more weight is better, yes you do want to gradually increase your weight to see greater results. The important thing to note here is quality over quantity, do not sacrifice good form for more weight.
- Cardio = weight loss, while having a good cardio regiment can lead to some weight loss it’s not necessarily the most effective way. If you combine cardio, weight lifting, and a good diet you’re guaranteed to see results faster.
- Watching the scale, I have said it before and I will say it again, STOP LOOKING AT THE SCALE. I’m guilty of it too, and it can be discouraging when the numbers aren’t changing or you see them go the opposite way you want them to. What’s more important is how you’re feeling, not what the number on the scale is. If you want to track your progress focus more on taking pictures and measurements.
- Thinking supplements will do the work, while supplements can be a good catalyst to push your results along, they can not do all the work for you. If you’re not willing to put in the time at the gym, or focus on a good diet, supplements will do very little for you.
- Never taking days off, I understand being motivated to want to see results but days off are important. Your muscles repair themselves while you sleep, and not getting enough rest can be not only harmful to your fitness regiment, but your health in general.
- Giving up too soon, a lot of people get discouraged when they don’t see the changes they want. It can take 2-3 months for your body to even start registering you’ve made a major diet or fitness change. Keep going, and the results with soon follow.
- Only working on one part of your body, you think your arms are fat, so you only work out your biceps and triceps. You’re going about it the complete wrong way. A lot of people don’t realize that targeted fat loss isn’t a thing, if you want your arms to slim down you need to focus on your diet, not just doing bicep curls every day.
This is one of my favorite things to review to date. Jacked Pack!
If you’re into supplements and you’ve never heard of Jacked Pack you need to check it out. Jacked Pack is a monthly subscription box that sends you a variety of supplement samples for just $15 per month (even less if you pay annually). I absolutely love this because I hate it when I drop a lot of money on a new pre-workout or BCAAs and I end up not liking them. I’ve found some of my favorite products through Jacked Pack and I highly recommend checking it out. Here’s a peek inside my February Jacked Pack;
Pre-workouts, whey, fat burner, protein bars and some other goodies! As you can see this box does not disappoint. When you subscribe you even fill out a flavor profile that way you don’t get any flavors that you know you hate. If you’re interested in receiving Jacked Pack you can sign up here.
February is heart health month and in honor of that I wanted to leave you all with a review of a hearth healthy product. Did you know that heart disease is the #1 cause of death among men and women? Gotta start taking care of those hearts now, ladies & gents!
A good start to being heart healthy is getting your daily recommended amount of magnesium and guess what? Natural Vitality’s Natural Calm has 81% of your daily value per serving!
Maintaining proper levels of Magnesium has been shown to aid in reducing stress and anxiety, which as most of us know is a good way to keep your heart healthy. If you’re interested in learning more about the importance of Magnesium you can visit http://www.nutritionalmagnesium.org and sign up for a free informational newsletter.
Natural Calm comes in a powder form which you simply throw a little hot water in, wait for it to stop fizzing like crazy, then top it off with hot or cold water. It was easy peasy to prepare and it’s super nice that you can drink it hot or cold. As an added bonus Natural Calm is vegan, gluten-free, and non-GMO. Oh, and it tastes pretty good too. I tried the raspberry lemon flavor, but if that doesn’t really sound like your thing it comes in a few other flavor options. You can see Natural Vitality’s full line up of products by clicking here.
As I’ve shared with you guys in the past I do suffer from anxiety disorder, and maybe it was just a placebo effect but I do feel like this product helped chill me out a bit. I didn’t have any weird side effects from it and overall have been very happy with it the few times I have used it.
Annnnd if you’re viewing this post between February 16th and February 23rd 2017, you can be entered to win a free bottle of Natural Calm! Just visit my Facebook page and enter there!
Are you struggling on finding the perfect Valentines Day gift for your swolemate, or maybe even just a nice gift for your gym buddy or fit BFF? Well, you’re in luck because I’ve compiled a small list of ideas for you for exactly that purpose!
- A subscription to Jacked Pack. Jacked Pack is a monthly subscription box that sends a variety of samples such as pre-workouts, BCAAs and protein bars. A gift subscription ranges in price from $40-$135.
- Too Pretty Gear. Too Pretty has some really sick gym apparel for the fit lady in your life! And as an added bonus, if you find something you like on the site you can use my code TPHLEIBY for 15% off.
- A weighted vest. This is a little add in from my very own swolemate. I asked my hubby if I got him anything fitness related for Valentines Day, what he would want. This was his response. A weighted vest can really help take anyone’s workouts to the next level.
- A fitness care package. Amazon has a large variety of these available if you’re looking to buy something, or if you want to make it a bit more personal you can put one together yourself. This fitness snack box available for purchase is one of my personal favorite ideas.
- Fitness inspired jewelry. Luv Fit Jewelry has some of the most adorable fitness inspired jewelry I have ever seen. They also have a variety of key chains and clothing in stock.
- A fitness pass. Chances are that if someone in your life is super into fitness they probably already have a gym membership, but why not get them a pass for somewhere they don’t go every day? Pay for some yoga sessions, dance classes, crossfit classes, a pass to a rock climbing gym ect.
- Do something extreme. Ever talked with your swolemate about going bungee jumping or skydiving together? Now’s the time, do it!
- A food delivery service. Let them skip grocery shopping for a couple of days and get them a healthy meal subscription to Fit Kitchen Direct. All the ingredients and directions for cooking delicious, healthy meals are delivered straight to their door!
- A fitness tracker. I personally own a Fitbit Charge HR and I’m not sure how I ever lived without it. If you’re looking for something a little fancier though maybe go for an Apple Watch or a Garmin Vivoactive.
I hope this helped make your Valentines Day gift search a little easier, and if you have anymore ideas feel free to post them in the comments below!
With love, Hailey.
Recently a good friend of mine came to me and said she wanted to start going jogging in the morning and asked me if she should eat before going, and if so, what she should have. I typically like having something small like a banana or protein bar before a workout, but once I really thought about it I had to ask myself “is that the best thing I can be doing for my body?” So, I did a little research to better educate myself and hopefully provide others with some helpful guidance as well.
There’s a lot of debate in the fitness community about whether or not you should eat before working out. I do, my husband doesn’t, and we both make progress in the gym. At this point, I want to say it’s personal preference, but if you’d like to do further research into this or give me some hard evidence I will gladly take it. Anyway, if you do make the decision to eat before working out you want to make sure you have something with good balance of carbs or protein to help you sustain energy. Here are 10 good snack options for you to nosh before hitting up the gym;
- Fruit smoothies
- Egg Whites
- Dried Fruit
- Whole grain toast
- Brown rice
- Chicken breast
- Greek yogurt
What are some of your favorite pre-workout snacks? Share them below!
Also be sure to check out my article on post-workout snacks!